Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Organic Food Update

I think the last time I posted about buying organic groceries, I mentioned that I was having trouble finding a few things, particularly dairy products and juices.

It turns out, Walmart actually carries a couple brands of organic milk including Great Value. The problem was, in my store, they don't put it with the rest of the milk, it's a couple doors down near the half and half and whipping cream, in a place I never look. It's still more expensive than regular milk, and they only sell most of it in half gallon cartons, but they do have some of the Horizon Organic in gallon size. And, I decided we're buying it because I can't get over how creamy it tastes even as 2%. If you sign up on Horizon Organic you can download and print out some coupons for $1.00 off two half gallons. There's also a coupon for the singles, but I don't know how much off. It let me print out two coupons before the message came up saying I was at my limit. I'm hoping in the future they add a coupon for the gallon size since that's what we use the most of.

I'm still not finding many options for other dairy products except yogurt which both Giant Eagle and Walmart carry. I'd really like to find an option for cheeses and butter or even ice cream.

I'm still not finding much in the way of organic juices or other drinks.

This weekend, we're heading to Pittsburgh for our anniversary. (I can't believe a year has gone by already!) We're planning to spend some time in the Strip District and check out the new public market. I'm hoping to find some good deals on things I can stock up on, though I also expect a lot of things to be pretty expensive in the Strip.

While we're down there, I'd also like to check out Whole Foods, though again, I kind of see that as busy out of our price range. But, we're also making a trip to the Giant Eagle Market District to see what organic products they have in a bigger Giant Eagle.

Have a great weekend! I'll let you know what we find!

No comments:

Post a Comment