Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

A Little Disappointed

Update: My comment has now been approved, so I'm less disappointed.

I recently left a comment on a post about substituting xylitol only to find that it was never approved by the blog owner. I find this a little disappointing, myself, as in the comment, I was neither supporting xylitol or not. Since it never appeared, I'm taking this post to express my thoughts on that post and also to expand. While, I do not have exactly what I said, this is basically it:

While I have never used xylitol and don't know much about it, I recommend doing some more research before completely making the switch. Also, keep in mind that while a product "occurs naturally," the process by which it is refined might not be so healthy.

After doing a little searching online, I've found that "xylitol is a naturally occuring carbohydrate. It is found in fibrous vegetables and fruit. It also occurs naturally in our bodies..." (from xylitol.org) The site also states that xylitol is used to fight tooth decay/cavities and as an alternative sweetener for diabetics. It has also been used as a sweetener in gum for years.

From most of what I'd initially found, xylitol seemed to be a "safe" alternative to anyone looking to control blood sugar or tooth decay or if your thoughts are to reduce calorie intake. Many sites didn't list any adverse thoughts at all. Knowing that this is hardly ever the case, I looked a little deeper.

A few sources mentioned that Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and a laxative and that some people's bodies do not tolerate it. This site advises you to check the grade, because a lower grade may also contain other sugar alcohols that may cause some issues.

Looking further still, I found a couple of sites with arguments against xylitol and other alternative sweeteners including this blog, which comes at it from a slightly more personal diet preference standpoint, and an article on diabeteshealth.com that contains an excerpt from a reference glossary on alternative sweeteners.

I also discovered this site, which explores an article found in Wise Traditions, a Weston A. Price Foundation magazine, about agave nectar and xylitol. I had never heard of the foundation or the magazine, plus I wanted to read the full article, if it was available, so that prompted me to expand my search. I'm not sure if this is the exact article: Agave: Nectar of the Gods; but it is the same author and expands on both agave and xylitol even going so far as to explain the manufacturing process. (The xylitol portion starts about 2/3 of the way down.) The article also argues against the claim that it can be used to prevent tooth decay and gives the cons of using as a diabetic alternative. It also lists sources, so if you're intrigued, feel free to read the article and check them out.

As for the Weston A. Price Foundation, I've learned that the goal of the foundation is to educate people so that, through awareness, we can began to eat more nutrient-rich foods. They advocate a diet change for Americans, moving towards healthier foods and lower cases of diseases and even cancer.

The conclusion I've come to is that xylitol isn't for me. Knowing the struggles that come with finding ways for diabetics to enjoy something sweet, I think that this may work well for some. However, since the transition to organic has begun recently in our house, I'd be wary of using xylitol because of many factors from the possibility of a GMO base, to the manufacturing process and chemicals that may be used. The Emerald Forest Xylitol site states that, currently, there is no known source for organic xylitol, and until there is, I know I have other organic options for sweeteners.

No comments:

Post a Comment