Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Making Changes

We don't have tv. Well, we have tv's but we don't pay for cable or anything, so we might get a couple channels on a clear day. I figure since we already pay for internet, and you can watch almost anything online, we don't need to spend the extra money for cable only to find that there's nothing to watch anyways. We do have Netflix on our Wii. I like being able to sit down and pick from thousands of movies and tv shows and watch them anytime. Plus, at only about $10/month I can justify it a little better.

Anywho.

I've mentioned before that we've been watching documentaries. Most recently we saw Food, Inc., which I thought was very eye-opening on what we are actually consuming along with our food, what goes into the production and what effects it has on the environment. I definitely recommend checking it out, along with The Gerson Miracle, which explains juicing and eating healthy, wholesome foods and the benefits that lifestyle may have for people battling cancer or other diseases. While I will not be totally conforming to this way of life (for one thing, I happen to LOVE meat, of any kind), it is interesting to learn what's behind it, and it's worth it to hear the compelling stories of people who have practiced it.

We also watched the first season of Eco Trip. I'm not sure if there are other seasons out there, but this series basically took a product for each show and showed you how what steps that product takes to get to the consumer. For example, one show explained the process for a cotton t-shirt, from growing the cotton to wearing it and also investigated the health factors on both the environment and those who came in contact with the process, whether it be a factory worker or someone who lived next to a cotton field where pesticides are sprayed.

Needless to say, we've begun to educate ourselves further on exactly what we are eating, buying, cleaning with, and supporting, and I think that may be the direction this blog will be headed. I want to share with you what we've learned and let you know what we're actively doing to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment